Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Yarn Dyeing

I wanted to try my hand at dyeing yarn.  I found a magazine with an article about dyeing yarn with Kool-Aid.
It was so easy.
I bought a skein of 100% Peruvian Highland Wool from Knit Picks.
I divided the skein into 4 different sections.
Then I got the Kool-Aid and yarn ready.
It was quite interesting.  I put the yarn in the Kool-Aid mix and then set them in the sun
to set.  When I went to get the yarn and bring it in, the water was clear and the yarn was colored.
Too Cool.  If you have never dyed yarn in the sun, try it sometime.  It was fun!

Here are a few before pictures.  I forgot to take pictures while the yarn was dyeing.
Therefore, I only have the beginning and final product.  Enjoy....

(For my info skein 220 yards/100grams, worsted weight,
4.5 -5 sts = 1" on # 6-9 needles, hand wash and dry flat)

 This is the magazine I read about how to dye yarn.
 Here is the specific article and my supplies.
My finished product.

1 comment:

  1. I read something about that on the internet, but it looks so cool to see some done!! I don't know that I will ever dye anything, but it's cool to see what others do! :)

    ReplyDelete